Here’s the legendary Paramount Theatre at 44th and Broadway in Times Square. The Paramount opened in 1926, a lavish French creation from the architectural offices of Rapp & Rapp. Seating was over 4,000 and it carried its own “Paramount Symphony” as well as the talents of organist Jesse Crawford at the Mighty Wurlitzer organ. Note that the featured picture advertised on the marquee was Pola Negri’s 1927 film, “The Woman on Trial.” The reviews for the picture were nowhere as spectacular as the theatre.
The Paramount, altered and remodeled–it’s beautiful marquee removed in favor of a more modern and hideous one–went dark after the James Bond flick, “Thunderball” played there in 1967. The theatre was then gutted and removed in favor of more office space. The Paramount’s death signaled the end of the movie palace era on Broadway.